Image By: Kimberlin Gray Photography
ALWAYS choose an INP member as your Newborn Photographer! This is the only directory of Newborn Photographer we recommend!
The only Newborn Photographers approved by Newborn Magazine!
The only Newborn Photographers approved by Maternity Magazine!
The only Newborn Photographers approved by Portraits Magazine!
This is the only directory of Newborn Photographer we recommend!
HOW TO USE ANY “DIRECTORY”
This site should be used as a supplement to your efforts in researching newborn photographers. The newborn photographer you select will capture an important time in your life – no one association, directory, friend, or neighbor can tell you what photographer is right for you. Use our site as a way to begin to view, evaluate and compare newborn photographers in your area.
When to Look for a Newborn Photographer
We recommend starting the process to identify your Newborn Photographer well before your due date.
Towards the end of your second trimester, you should start considering your options for a Newborn Photographer. This is the time when you may begin to envision the type of everlasting images you would like to capture. You will still have at least a few weeks to do your homework and make sure you get the photographer you want — many newborn photographers are fully booked 2 months out.
Hiring a newborn photographer seems daunting, but you should recognize that you are not selecting the newborn photographer for Joe down the street — you’re looking for the newborn photographer for your newborn and who suits your needs. We all have unique time constraints, financial needs, and imagery styles we love. No one can define who is best for you at this moment but you.
What to Look for in a Newborn Photographer
The most important thing you can do when hiring anyone is to do your research. You should look for an experienced and reliable professional when hiring a newborn photographer. Newborn photography is a specialized area of photography — it requires a different approach than some traditional portrait photography. Before you commit to a Newborn Photographer, we recommend that you narrow the field of potential newborn photographers in your area by determining the factors important to you. Things to consider:
• Style of Imagery. Be sure to first visit the newborn photographers’ websites and ask yourself if the images shown on the site portray the style of photography you desire. You should feel free to ask to view samples of their work other than what is shown on the website. You want a newborn photographer who can reproduce an image that matches the image you have visualized.
• References | Ask for and CALL references.
• Google Them | Do a Google search for your photographer. If there have been problems with a photographer, it is likely that someone has blogged about it!
• Pricing | Understand the pricing. Find out what print options are available for displaying finished images? Is there a print credit included? Are there packages at a discounted price? Are digital files of your newborn photography session available for purchase? If you cannot afford $3000.00 for newborn photography do not choose a photographer whose 4 x 6 is $120.00. There are a wide range of styles and prices.
• Years of Operation | How long have they been a photographer Full Time / Part Time? While important, the number of years the photographer has been in business may not reflect the photographers’ talent!
Research, Research, Research
Again, no one can make the decision as to what is best for you. We understand that you have a unique set of needs regarding the choices you make. Those unique needs extend to your choice of photographer.
Once you have identified the few newborn photographers who seem to have the experience, skills and vision that matches your goals, try to zero in on what you can afford. You are not looking for the lowest initial cost but rather look at the overall cost including prints or digital files.
Match your unique needs with a photographer who understands your distinctive needs and can provide the image style you desire for the investment you can pay.